Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Day of My Baptism, For Emma

clip_image001

August 9, 1986

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Dear Emma,

This is me when I was baptized. I was eight years old. The person standing next to me is my dad, your Grandpa.

A week before this picture was taken, I sat down with the bishop in my ward and he talked to me about the importance of baptism. He asked if I was willing to be baptized. I said I was.

My mom made the dress I was baptized in. A few days before this she took me to a studio so I could have my picture taken in this dress.

Many of my parents' friends gathered in a room in the church to see me baptized. Someone talked to me about the importance of baptism.

When she was done, my dad and I went into a font full of water in the room. I remember thinking the water was a little cold and my dress started to float in the water. But I knew I would be okay. I grabbed my dad's wrist. Then my dad raised his right hand and said the baptismal prayer found in Doctrine and Covenants 20: 73. Then he ducked me in the water. I was totally wet!

I got out feeling very cold but knew I had done the right thing. I went through a set of doors next to the font that led to a bathroom and I put on a dry dress that my mom had waiting for me.

Then I went back to the room where everyone was waiting for me. Someone stood up and talked to me about receiving the Holy Ghost.

Then I sat on a chair and my dad and several other men from church put their hands on my head and my dad gave me a blessing where he told me to receive the Holy Ghost.

When the meeting was over, everyone went to another room to enjoy refreshments. My mom made a beautiful cake for the occasion. She drew a blue dove on top of the cake to symbolize the Holy Ghost.

This was a special day to me for many reasons. It was the day I took upon myself the name of Christ and committed to be his disciple. It was the day I followed Jesus' example to be baptized. It was a day I was spiritually washed cleaned. I also received the right to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost if I was obedient to Heavenly Father's commandments.

Another important part of this day was that I received my first set of scriptures. There's actually a funny story associated with these scriptures. A few days before my baptism, I went with my parents to pick up my present. I didn't know what it was, but I was very intrigued. They came out of the store carrying a small brown bag and I knew my present was in it.

When we arrived home, my parents accidently left the brown bag in the front of the car. I was the last person to get out of the car and I couldn't resist taking a peek at my present. Imagine my guilt when I saw my set of scriptures in the brown bag. The irony of finding a set of scriptures in a bag that I shouldn't have been looking in wasn't lost to me as a little girl.

Anyway, I know baptism is important and it’s a very special thing.  We don’t have to know everything there is to know about Jesus’ gospel.  Baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost are the first steps to knowing more and growing closer to Heavenly Father.  And every week, by taking the sacrament in church, we can renew the covenant that we made at baptism.

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment