Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Celebrating the Birth of the Savior: Preparing for Our Savior and Sharing the Good News

This week I’m studying the Gospel Doctrine lesson that will be given on Sunday.  We’re studying the first chapters of Luke.  This lesson focuses on the people who first met Jesus, what they did to prepare for His coming and what they did after they met Him.  I’ve been taking notes, and I find that I can consolidate them into a table.

Who met Jesus What they did to prepare What they did after they met Jesus What can I learn from them?
The shepherds They were where they needed to be, watching over their flocks.  They were in the countryside where I imagine it was peaceful.  I wonder why they were chosen as one of the first audiences to know of the Savior.  Once they learned of His coming, they went to Him. And after the shepherds saw Jesus, they “made known abroad the saying which was told them” concerning Jesus, and they also returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen.”  (Luke 2: 17, 20.) I can be where I’m supposed to be, fulfilling my responsibilities, no matter how big or small they are.  Once the shepherds learned of Jesus, they dropped everything they were doing and went to Him.  I should do the same.  And once I meet Him, I can share what I have learned with others.
Anna, the prophetess She served God and fasted and prayed night and day. She “spake of him to all that looked for redemption in Jerusalem. (Luke 2:38.) I need to be prepared spiritually to meet the Savior.  I can share what I’ve learned with the open-hearted.
Simeon He was devout and was filled with the Spirit of the Lord.  He worshiped at the temple. He praised the Lord. Again, be prepared, and praise heaven for His coming. Worship Him.
The Wise Men They sought after Him. When they found Him, they fell down and worshipped Him. They offered Him gifts.  I want to search for Jesus, and as I find Him in my daily life, I worship Him.  I can offer my own gifts:  a pure and open heart, my will, my faith in Him, service to others, keeping His commandments, praying to Him, having faith in his grace and atonement.

What I learned about my Savior in His youth:

The grace of God was upon Jesus when they went into Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of the passover.

He was wise as a child, wise enough to teach wise men in the temple, but He also listened and asked questions.

He knew His mission even at a young age. 

He respected His parents.

He grew grace by grace.  He grew in “wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.”  (Luke 2:51.)

No comments:

Post a Comment