Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Walking the Temple Grounds


 

image

A few months after Emma was born, our bishop gave a talk in church about the temple. He mentioned several ways we can feel the spirit of the temple in our lives, and one of those is simply walking on the temple grounds. Ben and I hadn't attended the temple in several months because Emma was still very young and we were very busy caring for her. But we wanted to feel the peace that the temple can bring.

So the next weekend, we followed our bishop's advice and drove the 20 minutes to the Seattle Washington Temple. It was raining and a little cold outside, but as soon as we drove into the parking lot, I felt something different. I felt the peace that I usually feel when I'm inside the temple. We got out of the car and walked on the grounds. We walked by the fountain. We found a grove I didn't know about before. I normally feel very calm and at peace when I'm in a garden, but while I was there, I felt something even more, a peace that reminded me of the feeling I have when I'm in the temple. I was reminded of the covenants that I had made there. I was reminded about the simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that through faith, repentance, obedience, and a reliance on his grace, we'll live in peace with our Heavenly Father, where we can learn from him and continue to grow. I'm so thankful for that experience that I can hold to whenever I need to be reminded about the blessings of the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment